For the first time this year, the boys made a "Thankful Tree" for Thanksgiving. They really enjoyed the activity and I think it will definitely become an annual tradition. To make the tree, we placed some small branches into a planter with moss-covered styrofoam. Then we cut leaf shapes from fall colored paper. On each leaf, the boys recorded what they're thankful for through words and pictures.
As is typical of competitive brothers, they seemed to be trying to out-do the other one with their ideas of what they're thankful for. During the whole activity it went like this...
Michael: "I'm thankful for Mommy."
Lil J: "Well, I'm thankful for Daddy."
...and on and on it went.
Finally, Lil J, thinking he'd thought of the ultimate thing for which to be grateful, declared: "Well, I'm thankful for Jesus and that He died on the cross for my sins."
Michael sat there speechless. There was silence.
Then, out of the blue, Michael piped up and said, "Well, I'm thankful that He didn't stay dead and that He's alive!"
What a wonderful reminder this Thanksgiving, as we count our blessings, to remember not only Christ's sacrifice for each of our sins, but also His victory over death. This is the greatest blessing we each can have...through trusting in Christ alone: our sins are forgiven and we have a home in Heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment