I have so many fun (and funny) memories of the countless hours I spent with them. It is so hard to believe that Allie is now 18 and headed off to college to study nursing. Ashley is engaged to be married and a Junior at IUSB studying to be a special ed teacher. My, how time has flown. It seems like just yesterday...
As I raise my boys, I think back to those babysitting days all the time. My experience watching Ashley and Allie was the best preparation I could have had for raising my boys (not that anything could have completely prepared me for motherhood!)
This afternoon, I wrote the following letter to Allie and included it with her gift:
Dear Allie,
It's hard to believe you're already graduating! It seems like just yesterday we were sitting in a rocking chair, reading books before your nap. Now I'm reading to my own boys and you're headed off to college.
When I received your open house invitation in the mail, a flood of memories raced through my mind. I could almost hear your sweet little voice calling me “Fuffy”. I’m sure you remember your love for Barney videos, Flipper, Lassie, and watching “Wee Sing in Sillyville” over and over and over again.
You said so many cute things over the years, but a few really stand out in my mind. I still laugh when I remember them and so I thought I would share them with you. At the Fair one day you told me you wanted to go see the “Giraffe Horses”. I was completely confused until I realized you meant “Draft Horses”. When you were a bit older you told me, “When I grow up I’m going to get a car without a lid.” (a convertible) I think my favorite was one time when you and Ashley and I were talking about getting married some day. You told me that you weren’t going to marry a guy unless he had “good teeth”.
Something else that really stands out in my mind was that you had a very tender, sincere and genuine heart. Always keep this Allie. There are going to be many changes in your life in the coming days and years, keep your heart pure and your life sincere. You are a very special young lady and God has a very special plan for your life. May He bless you and guide you. If you ever get to a point in your life where life seems empty and has no purpose, turn to Him. He will always be there for you, ready to help and listen.
I wish you the best as you move on to the next chapter of your life. I hope you keep in touch through the years. I’d love to know what you’re up to. Take care and God bless.
With love and prayers,
Bethany (Schaubert) Wesco
As I think about how fast Ashley and Allie have grown, I am reminded how fast my own little boys are going to be grown and gone. Right now it seems the days of stepping on dried spaghetti noodles on the dining room floor, pulling legos out of the toilet, wiping milk splatters and fingerprints off my freshly cleaned windows, finding sippy cups of sour milk under the seats in my car, and endless diaper changes, loads of laundry and meals will never end.
I need to remember to daily treasure all of the sweet little boys kisses, hugs and cuddling in the rocking chair (even if its just one more excuse to stall before bedtime) and rejoice as I clean up the unending messes because this too shall pass all too quickly. Someday I'll be preparing for their graduation or wedding and thinking, "It seems like just yesterday..."
No comments:
Post a Comment