Friday, July 11, 2008

Our first trip to the Emergency Room (no doubt, not the last)

This morning we went out to pick up a few final items for Michael's party on Sunday afternoon. As I was unloading the car when we returned home, I heard this horrible scream. Michael had slammed the kitchen door on Lil J's finger. As I was giving him a hug, I realized that his finger was bleeding. So, I walked him over the sink to rinse it off and then realized that part of his ring finger on his left hand was hanging. I would like to say that I passed the "Mommy Stay Calm Test", but I didn't. I grabbed both boys by the wrists and headed out the door to walk over to our neighbor, Kelly's house for help. Kelly is an ER nurse and I thank God that she was home. She calmed us all down and wrapped his fingers in gauze and tape so that we could make it to the ER. I didn't know how I was going to get there all by myself with a half hour drive, two boys and a dangling finger.
























Daddy was waiting for us at the ER when we arrived. Lil J did very well on the car ride over there and was so brave, until he saw Daddy, and then he just burst into tears. Aunt Chris pulled in the parking lot shortly thereafter and took Michael for me so I could be with lil J.

X-rays showed that the bone on the end of his finger was chipped off, but his joints were all fine! Dr. Kim was the MOST wonderful ER doctor I think I've met. He was really terrific and is a dad himself. He was awesome with lil J. Lil J never cried again throughout the entire procedure (he even kept his big boy pants dry!) The nurses and Dr. Kim all said that he was better than most adults they have in there. He was incredibly brave...more brave than even Mommy!

Dr. Kim stitched the end of his finger back on and then replaced the fingernail. We will go see a hand specialist next week. I was amazed that lil J watched most of the procedure. I don't know what the Lord has planned for him in the future, but he is very strong and brave. I was so proud of him. He really took it all like a little man.





















I have so many things to be grateful for today:
1) The injury missed lil J's joints.
2) Kelly was supposed to work until 3 today, but they sent her home early (I think God sent her home because He knew we needed her!)
3) We had a great ER doctor (also thanks to Kelly...she called ahead with specific instructions for the ER)
4) Chris was able to watch Michael for us.
5) The Lord really helped lil J to be brave.
6) That Daddy was able to be there with us the whole time!
7) That we have great medical insurance!

I feel very blessed for all of the ways God showed us His love and provision for us today.

No comments: