Monday, June 15, 2009

The "Duck & Deer" Song

Tonight as we were getting ready to pray before dinner, Michael shouted, "Let's sing the "Duck & Deer" song. I just sat there and looked at him and thought, "what in the world is the duck & deer song and what does it have to do with praying?" Then it hit me. He was thinking of the old German prayer we sing sometimes before meals: "Vater Wir Danken Dir". I guess when we sing the "danken dir" part, he thinks we're singing, "duck and deer".

This prayer has special memories to me of going to my grandparents' house for meals. After we would all join hands and bow our heads, my grandpa would break into song with the following chorus:

Vater wir danken dir.
Vater wir danken dir.
Vater im Himmel,
Wir danken dir.
Father, we give Thee thanks.
Father, we give Thee thanks.
Father, in Heaven,
We give Thee thanks.
Grammy and Aunt Chris have continued the tradition and I am so grateful that my boys are growing up learning this precious chorus.

1 comment:

Rejoicing In Hope said...

Thank you for sharing. It even took us a couple seconds to figure out what Michael was asking us to do one night when they were here for dinner. Now we too understand that he is referring to “danken dir.”

It is special to watch them grow inside and out. I especially am grateful for Jonathan’s tender heart, and the increased sensitivity that I see in his responses to correction. I have noticed a greater contrition of spirit in Jonathan since he asked Jesus into his heart. He is more willing to yield, and I see the Holy Spirit taking control of his responses at times. He has an inner restraint that I did not see before his conversion.

I’m sure some days are more trying than others, but be of good cheer, and know that it is God’s work, not yours, that determines the outcome of their little lives. Your job this: to be sensitive to how God is guiding you and what He is leading you to do in your endeavor to train them up. If your heart is in tune with His will, then regardless of the outcome, you will have confidence that everything has happened according to God’s sovereign plan.

You and I have been blessed with such a “goodly heritage” through Grandpa, Grandma, and Mom. It will be our life’s greatest challenge and work to pass it on to the next generation. I pray that as an aunt to your children, I can be an asset to your desire to raise them with a genuine love for God, His Word, and His people.