My sweet husband.
After church tonight, I had to make a return at TJ Maxx and had to pick something up at the bookstore. He dropped me off and stayed in the car with the boys. When I returned to the car, there I found these beautiful patriotic flowers and a Peppermint Mocha (my favorite)! What a sweetheart!
It has been a rough couple of days with the boys. I've been dealing with attitudes, arguing, and fighting nearly nonstop since yesterday morning at 6:45AM. By last night I was scratching my head, in desperation, wondering what bug bit these sweet, precious, pliable, obedient boys? (okay, so they're not like that all the time...but they do have their moments.) As I reflected, I have seen little manifestations of these behaviors for several weeks, which I haven't "nipped in the bud" immediately and now they're full grown, all-out thorny weeds! I was at the end of my rope when I hit the pillow last night. Jonathan and I prayed together before bed, seeking the Lord's grace and wisdom in training the boys.
Today went better. They were still arguing and fighting, but instead of feeling my blood pressure rising, I sensed the Lord's grace strengthening me and giving me His wisdom.
This afternoon, during naptime I heard a program on "Building Blocks for the Family" . The speaker, Esther Burroughs, talked about how after she shattered her arm in a skiing accident, her husband had to do nearly everything for her for six months. One night as she was taking off her shoes to get ready for bed, he came in and began untying her shoes for her. She looked down at him and said, "I can do this myself." He replied very meekly, "I know you can, but you don't have to." Mrs. Burroughs made the analogy that we can do most things in our own strength...but we don't have to. The Lord has given us His Holy Spirit to be our helper and to guide us...if we will yield control to Him and let Him help us.
This was a great reminder to me that I can be a Mommy in my own strength or I can yield to the Lord and depend upon Him for His strength and grace in raising these precious boys. He's a much better and far more patient parent than I'll ever be...who better to raise my boys?!
1 comment:
Great post! I too have been dealing with my two oldest not getting along.I think that there are a few factors for us that play into this behavior.And I totally know what you mean about having long days.Thank you for the reminder that parenting is not meant to be done in my own strength!Have a blessed 4th of July weekend!!
Post a Comment