Wednesday, September 30, 2009

NOT his favorite

Tonight I prepared a new recipe..."Curried Pumpkin Apple Soup" to go with our dinner. The boys typically like everything and are willing to try new things. One of the rules we have at our house is they are never allowed to say, "I don't like". Instead, they may say, "It's not my favorite." I thought the creamy golden color of the soup, garnished with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chives from the garden looked very appetizing, but the boys weren't impressed.

Michael: "This smells like skunk"
Jonathan: "This is really yucky, Mommy."
Mommy: "Jonathan and Michael, you don't talk like that. You need to be grateful for the food we have. Some little boys in the world don't have a hot meal and warm house this evening."

Jonathan sat there looked at the soup a moment longer and began doing some kind of weird gesturing with his hand, moving it across his chest and then flicking his fingers.

Mommy: "Jonathan, what are you doing?"
Jonathan: "That's the sign for..."don't like."

I have to hand it to him, if he is going to express his dislike, I appreciate his creativity in resorting to sign language. (I have to admit the soup "wasn't my favorite" either. :-)

1 comment:

Charles Wesco Family said...

I love it!!! We have had a couple dinners that have ended with us all deciding to trash the recipe, but your story is really a cute keeper! :)

Stephanie