Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tea for Two at 3

Saturday night the boys started coming down with some type of nasty bug. They both have been running fevers, had runny noses, sore throats, goopy eyes, coughing, etc. You name the symptom...they've had it. Yesterday morning when lil J wakened hysterically and crying, "open, Mommy, open" I found that his eyes were completely crusted shut. So we headed to the doctor at 10:30. Lil J has acute conjunctivitis in both eyes and all of the other symptoms were just a bad viral cold. This is a relief that they don't need a round of antibiotics, but also means we're in for a long haul potentially. I've been running a fever as well as high as 103 and felt really achy all over. There is a reason Mommies aren't supposed to get sick.

Well, this morning at 3 am I heard lil Jonathan coughing uncontrollably and Michael crying because now his eyes were matted shut. So after using warm compresses to open Michael's eyes and changing lil J's jammies which he had wet, I put antibiotic drops in both of their eyes. Then Daddy and I brought lil J out to the couch and we sat by the Christmas tree and sipped Echinacea tea with honey. With lil J's second sip of tea, he had another coughing spell and spilled tea all over himself. SO, we changed him a second time and cuddled together until we finished our tea and his cough seemed to be under control. As I sat there I was thinking, I can't believe I'm sitting here drinking tea at 3am! Just then lil J looked up at me with his watery eyes and said, "I love you, Mommy." I smiled as I thought of all of the sacrificial care and nurturing my mom gave me when I was little and sick too. It is amazing to think that as she cared for me, she was teaching me how to be a mommy and care for her future grandchildren! Thanks Mom for all of your love, prayers and tender-loving care over the years. Your kindness will never be forgotten.

No comments: